Saturday, April 2, 2011

There is no other way to lead, than to lead by example.


While running this morning, I got to thinking about my children and the way they see me…. And how I influence them.



As a young girl, I can remember idolizing my parents and wanting to be like them. Not only did I want their time, attention, and praise… but they were a sort of “safety net” for me. Always catching me when I fell and ALWAYS telling me to get right back out there and do it again. I can clearly remember my dad telling me I can do whatever I put my mind to. And when I hesitated to make the jump off the side of the swimming pool, I remember him saying… “Do your best, angel girl… .the rest doesn’t matter.”

I know my children are looking to me for guidance. And guidance on all realms. Not only are they looking to me for time, attention, praise, and safety… but I’m in charge of guiding them and teaching them about health. (and not just b/c I’m a chiropractor… it’s because I’m their parent)

Our children’s health (their TRUE health) is a combination of physical, chemical, and emotional stressors. Now not all stressors are bad. For example, a car accident – bad physical stressor (please get your spine checked asap). Exercise – good physical stressor. We are a combination of the things we do to our body, the things we put in our body, and the things that rest on our minds. And when I say “we”, I mean ALL of us… young and old.

So if I’m concerned (aware) of how my children are looking at me, I better start by looking at myself. I better (to paraphrase Ghandi) “be the change I wish to see in my children”…. The change I wish to see in the world.

I believe in a healthier community and I’m certain that it starts with our children. Or does it really start with us?

If you want (and believe in) optimal health for YOUR children…. Optimal physical, chemical, and emotional health… then it must begin with YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment