Thursday, October 14, 2010

"I'm not going to be fat anymore"

At YFC, I see a lot of families. Over the last 7 years, I've seen a common trend. Moms are running hard, juggling a million things at once, and often times put themselves last.
I just heard a mother tell me yesterday that she told her child, "after this pregnancy your mother isn't going to be fat anymore".
So, this child asks her when she's going to stop being fat.
This mother told me that she felt like her job was to take care of her kids, not herself.
I also hear things like, "I'm tired of being frumpy mom". "I never have time for myself."
If you hear nothing else, hear this ---> you deserve to take care of yourself. You MUST take care of yourself! Give 75% to your kids and 25% to yourself. Because if you don't, your kids aren't going to get the best of you and you're going to end up resenting your kids.
Time is the only commodity we are all given equally. Across counties, states, continents. We are all given the same amount of time. Use it wisely and quit making excuses.
Taking care of my body is a priority as I want to take the best care of my children. My alarm went off at 4:45am this morning. I crawled out of bed (reluctantly.. but I did it anyway) and came downstairs to layer on the clothes and head out in 37 degree weather to run.
Am I a superhero? (sometimes I like to be called "She-Ra... Princess of Power".... but that's another blog)
No... .I'm a mom! Just like you!
I know what I want for my future. I want a vibrant, healthy future and I want the same for my kids. So, I lead by example.
Why? Because I am entitled to health and I'm entitled (required) to take care of myself.
Begin with the end in mind. Decide what you truly want for yourself and your health. And just get started!

2 comments: